Sunday, May 12, 2013

Daylight And Darkness: Special Stand-Alone Episode. The Life Of Tenny and J.D.

   In the farm country around 100 miles East of Blue Ridge, in the Midwest, a young girl at age 16, is walking through the town square in the small town of Lexington, she is quiet and is headed to window shop in front of the local department store. She bumps into a young man and she looks at him as he asks "Are you ok? You should pay attention to where you were going." The girl looks at him and says in a cocky tone "I can't help a bump in the sidewalk." The young man laughs and asks her, as she stares in the window "See something you want?" She looks at him and asks "Why? You going to buy it?" He says "I might. I've seen you around .I work at the local grocery store down the street." He looks at her as she looks at him and says in a shy tone "You work the counter down there at Barney's Grocery." He says "I've seen you in there many times with your youngest sister. She looks at him and asks "What's your name?" He tells her "James David Sullivan. But everybody calls me J.D." She says in a serious tone  "Tennessee Martin." He says to her "Let's go buy that dress. You can meet me tomorrow at the Soda Counter at the dime store. "Tennessee says as she has stars in her eyes "Ok." They walk inside and he buys Tennessee her dress and she looks at J.D. and tells him "My family call me Tenny. Thank you." He says "I am honored to." They walk outside and stare at each other again with stars in their eyes as they each go separate ways. Tenny blushes as J.D. walks home with confidence in his eyes. Tenny returns home to find her 10 year old youngest sister, Ciarra Martin waiting for her at home and Ciarra sees Tenny as she walks in and notices her blush and asks her "He asked you didn't he?" Tenny looks at Ciarra and asks "Has he talked about me?" Ciarra says "I notice things Tennessee. His brother is kind of cute too." Tenny tells Ciarra "I am so nervous because I've never been out before with a older guy. Ciarra looks stunned and says "I doubt Papa will let you. You know how strict he is." Tenny looks at her sister with a look of confidence and says "Watch Me!" Later that night, Tenny and Ciarra's Father, Sim Martin has returned home from a long day's work at the oil refinery downtown and sits down and relaxes quietly as he turns on the radio and Tenny and Ciarra's Mother, Lily Martin tells everyone "dinner time", and Sim heads to the kitchen, as Tenny and Ciarra waits for him to walk inside and Ciarra tells everyone "Tennessee's got something to tell you." Sim asks his middle daughter "What is it Tennessee?" Tenny is the 2nd of Sim and Lily's 3 children, as the oldest in the family, Jonathan Martin has married and moved out to the Western United States for work as times are tough due to the depression and the looming war that will become known as World War 2. Tenny is silent and gives off a mean glare to Ciarra and says "Can I go down to the Soda Counter tomorrow?" Sim and Lily looks at each other and agree as Tenny smiles. Sim and Lily allows her ,with reservations as Sim sternly says "Be home by 8." Tenny agrees and when dinner's finished, Tenny walks to her room and says to herself,looking at her new dress "I'm going to marry him."
   It's the next day and Tenny arrives at the dime store and sees J.D. at the counter and J.D greets Tenny and tells the guy behind the counter "Get this girl anything she wants." Tenny looks at J.D and tells him "I'm 16! I'm not no girl, I'm a lady." J.D gently says to her "I apologize. The two of them begin to talk and Tenny tells J.D. "This is my first time out with a boy." J.D. tells her "I'm surprised, it'd seem that all the boys in Lexington would be asking you out." Tenny responds "I've been asked out, but I've turned all of them down." J.D. looks at Tenny and asks with a laugh "You are beautiful Tenny. You must be very picky." Tenny stares at J.D. and smiles as she says "I have had my eye on someone here in town. He works down at Barney's Grocery." J.D. acts surprised as he asks "Do I know him." Tenny, with stars in her eyes says "I am looking at him." J.D. is quiet as he says to her "I've had my eyes on you also." Tenny smiles and is quiet as she asks J.D. "Where do you live?" J.D. says "Across town near the river. I also work at the Courthouse as a janitor. My Father died a few years ago and Mama's had health problems, so Jacob and I take care of her." Tenny says "My sister likes Jacob." J.D. looks at Tenny and says "He likes Ciarra also I think, but he stays with Mama and works at night with me at the Courthouse." Tenny asks him "Do you still attend school?" J.D. says to her "I'm a senior and I made a promise to Daddy on his deathbed that I'd graduate high school. So I work two jobs, go to school, and make sure my Mama's taken care of." Tenny looks at J.D. with amazement as they both stare into each other's eyes as both have fallen for the other and J.D, asks Tenny "Have you been kissed yet?" Tenny blushes with embarrassment and says shyly "No." J.D leans over and kisses Tenny as she returns the kiss with reluctance and they have fallen for each other. The date finishes and J.D walks Tenny home as he walks back to his house, on the other end of town. He returns home and his Mother, Elizabeth Sullivan, is in her bed, as she is sick asks her son "I take it your date went well." J.D. smiles and says to his Mother "I think so.Where's Jacob?" Elizabeth tells her son "He's at the Courthouse." J.D. heads to change clothes to join his younger brother at work, as Elizabeth suffers from polio and J.D. and Jacob works together to make ends meet as the Sullivans are poor due to his Father's death and his Mother's health problems. It's later in the evening and J.D.'s at the Lexington Courthouse, on a short break standing outside with his younger Brother, Jacob Sullivan as Jacob, who's a few years younger than J.D. asks his Oldest Brother "How was your date with Tennessee Martin?" J.D. tells Jacob with a smile "I think I've met my wife." Jacob changes subjects and tells his brother "I heard today that the President declared war." J.D. looks at Jacob and says "I want to go into business for myself after college and start a grocery store of my own." Jacob looks at J.D. and says "I think the way things are going, we're going to be in Europe or Japan before long." J.D. has a look of dread and says to Jacob "As long as somebody looks after Mama, that's what I'm worried about." Jacob adds "And Tennessee?" J.D. snaps "It's just our first date." Jacob grabs his mop and looks at J.D. and says "I can tell you're taken with her." J.D is quiet as he follows his brother back inside as they work at night and J.D. can't take his mind off of Tenny, meanwhile at The Martin house,Tenny lays in bed and thinks of J.D., as they have fallen for each other.
  One year later, J.D. and Tenny have fallen deeply in love and J.D. has graduated from High School and comes home and Elizabeth sits in the living room and tells her son "You have gotten a letter today." J.D opens the letter, which is his draft notice to serve in World War 2, and looks at his Mother and says with regret "I hate this.What about college? How will I tell Tenny about this." Elizabeth looks at J.D. and tells him "When the government calls you for duty James, you have to serve." J.D has a look of defeat and asks his Mother "Who's going to take care of you while I'm gone off to battle?" Elizabeth assures him "Jacob will take care of me son. Don't worry about me." J.D. leaves as he walks over to Tenny's house, as he asks himself "How do I break this to her?" About a hour later, J.D. arrives, as Tenny, Ciarra, and their Mother, Lily sits on the porch and Tenny runs down the stairs and gives J.D. a hug and Lily and Ciarra watches on as J.D. looks at Tenny and says "Tennessee I got it today." Tenny has a look of fear and tells J.D. "You're leaving?" J.D. says with a deep breath "I have to go into basic training in a few days." Lily and Ciarra watch on the front porch as Tenny cries and asks "What will happen if you are killed?" J.D. looks at Tenny and says to his girlfriend "I am scared also Tennessee. I want to do something though before I have to go away." Tenny asks "And what is that?" J.D. looks at Lily and Ciarra as they are quiet and J.D. pulls out a ring and says "Will you marry me?" Tenny is stunned and Lily takes a deep breath as she likes J.D. but knows that Sim will have problems with the marriage, as J.D's 20 and Tenny's only 17 years old. Tenny looks at the ring and looks at J.D. and says "Yes I will marry you J.D." Later in the day, Sim has returned home as as he sits down for dinner with the family, Lily tells her Husband "J.D. proposed to Tennessee today." Sim says sternly "Without asking my permission first?" Tenny tells her Father "He's going off to Europe soon and I love him." Sim looks at Tenny and says to her "You're just a young girl Tennessee. You're too young and J.D.'s family are poor and they can't watch after you if something happens to J.D." Tenny gets up and says "Papa we're getting married!" Sim warns her "Don't sass me now Tennessee! I am your Father." Tenny apologizes and Lily tells her husband "The Sullivans are good people. J.D. works two jobs and takes care of his Mother. I like him." Sim grows silent and says sternly "You can wait until he returns and then see what happens." Tenny starts to cry and runs out as Lily scolds Sim, telling him "I was 15 when we got married." Sim says to his wife "Tennessee's our daughter and I just don't want to watch her get her heart broken." Meanwhile, Tenny runs down to Barney's Grocery and sees J.D. and he notices tears in Tenny's eyes and asks "What's wrong?" Tenny looks down and says to J.D. "Papa forbid me marrying you." J.D. has a look of disappointment on his face as does Tenny and both of them grows silent as Tenny responds "I am 17." J.D says "There's a judge at the Courthouse that works late and if I asked.." That evening, at the Lexington Courthouse, Tenny and J.D exchange wedding vows and marry, with Jacob as the witness and the Justice tells J.D. "Take the night off and enjoy your night." Jacob nods as Tenny and J.D. leave hand in hand and later in the evening, they sit on the riverbank, as J.D. asks Tenny "I bet Mr. and Mrs. Martin are concerned." Tenny responds "I don't care. All I want is you." J.D and Tenny kisses and they make love for the first time as both know that there's no guarantees J.D. will return home. Tenny and J.D returns to The Martin Home that evening and Sim is waiting, with anger on his face as Lily stands by as he asks his daughter "Where did you go?" Tenny shows off a ring and says "I'm married now Papa." Sim looks at J.D. and says sternly "It's not appropriate for you to marry my daughter without my permission." J.D. apologizes and Sim says to them "I do understand. I did the same thing with Lily when I was called to battle in WW1." J.D. kisses Tenny and J.D. asks Sim and Lily "Please take care of her for me while I'm gone." Sim tells J.D. "Don't worry about that James." J.D. and Tenny holds each other and Tenny tells him with tears in her eyes "Please come home to me." J.D. promises her "I will." J.D. is sent to Europe and over the next 4 years, Tenny gets a job at the Ammo Factory and J.D returns home on leave, when his Mother passes away after suffering a stroke. And a year later, when Tenny is 20 years old, she gives birth to her and J.D.'s first daughter at home, in the Martin Home, and Tenny names her Elizabeth Sullivan, after J.D's Mother and simply calls her "My sweet Beth." Times are tough and shortly after Beth's birth, J.D returns home as Japan surrenders, concluding World War 2. Tenny meets him at the Train Station with Ciarra and Beth, who's an infant. J.D. and Jacob gets off the train, as Jacob has also served in the War in Japan and has fallen for Ciarra, although she's only 15 as he's 21. J.D drops his bag as he runs to Tenny and his daughter as they hug and J.D meets his daughter and Tenny says "Her name is Elizabeth." J.D. is touched and holds his daughter for the first time and the journey begins for J.D and Tenny Sullivan as they start their life together, as a few years later, Ciarra and Jacob will marry and J.D. starts a grocery store in the bustling town of Blue Ridge, that he calls "Jim's."
  Over the next 10 years, J.D. and Tenny struggle to make ends meet in the big city as J.D. and Jacob operates Jim's and J.D. and Tenny has a son a few years after J.D's return from World War 2, whom they name Allan James Sullivan. Jim's slowly grows and Ciarra and Jacob gets married and move to Blue Ridge  as J.D. takes some gambles in business and Jim's becomes the top grocery store in the Midwest within the next 10 years, bringing The Sullivans wealth and power though J.D. stays humble and is devoted to his family as they move to the Royal Park neighborhood of Blue Ridge and they buy an estate and Ciarra and Jacob builds a house next door and as Beth and Allan grow up, Tenny is a devoted housewife, as she takes care of Beth and Allan,a nd Ciarra works for a local Department Store called Emery's in Blue Ridge, running the Cafeteria inside. The Sullivans are modest though their fortune grows as Jim's continues to grow and J.D., Tenny, Ciarra, and Jacob are very close, as Tenny and Ciarra's parents, Sim and Lily Martin pass away shortly after Jacob and Ciarra marries, in a car accident. The deaths of Sim and Lily impact everyone, and Tenny and Ciarra grows closer and Ciarra and Jacob try to have a child, but are unsuccessful and grow attached to Beth and Allan. Things are good for The Sullivans throughout this time, despite the setbacks and all, Beth and Allan grow up normally and as Beth and Allan are young, Tenny stays at home, though she has dreams of running a business herself, as one day,when Allan is in his early teens and Beth is 15, Tenny and her children walk into a new store in Blue Ridge, which as Allan looks at toys and Beth looks at the record section, Tenny gets ideas and tells a clerk "This is one large dime store."The clerk responds "This is what they are calling a "Discount Store." Tenny has thoughts and as she goes back to The Sullivan Estate with Beth and Allan, Tenny thinks to herself "This is a great idea. The future."
   A few years later, Beth moves to the Southeastern city of Adam's Landing, as she's finished Medical School, and is an intern doctor at City Hospital. Allan has started a rock and roll band called "The Allan James Band" and has left home to go after his dreams of being a rock and roll star. Tenny shows up at Jim's Corporate Headquarters in Blue Ridge as she does often, as Ciarra still works at Emery's and Tenny is lonely after Beth and Allan moves out as they've moved out and are grown. J.D. sits in his office with Jacob, as they discuss expansion plans and Tenny walks in and asks "Where's my handsome husband?" J.D. asks Tenny "I don't know. Who is he?" Tenny smiles and says "He runs the top Grocery store in the Midwest and I'm his wife." J.D. kisses Tenny as Jacob laughs "You come down here often since Beth and Allan has moved out." Tenny is quiet and says "You and Ciarra needs to get lucky and then I could babysit." Jacob says to Tenny "We have tried to have a child but after the miscarriages, we may try one more time and see what happens." Tenny responds with a laugh "You two have spoiled Beth and Allan like crazy. I think the two of you would be great parents." Meanwhile J.D. looks at Jacob and tells his brother "I'm taking my wife to lunch at Emery's.Care to join us?" Jacob accepts and they head down and Ciarra, who is now in charge of Emery's, joins her family for lunch as Tenny cuts to the chase and asks J.D. "I have a business question?" J.D. rolls his eyes and says "Tennessee, it's been business all morning down at the office. Let's talk about something else." Tenny tells all of them "I've had my eyes on that store near the estate called Elco." J.D. quips "Oh yes,the discount store. They are popping up everywhere." Tenny tells J.D. "I want to do something new in my life. It's lonely being close to 40 and staying at home. I want to open a discount store." J.D., Ciarra, and Jacob looks at Tenny and asks her "Are you serious? I doubt it would be successful Tennessee." Ciarra tells her sister "I think it's a fad that will fall out in the next few years." J.D. is quiet for a moment and says"I disagree Ciarra. Elco has been successful and it was a dime store. There's grocery chains like Barney's experimenting with the concept. Jim's has enough funds to try it." Tenny looks at Ciarra and says to her sister "We could run it together since you have experience with Emery's and we'd be the first women to have a store of our own." Ciarra tells Tenny "That's a big risk and I enjoy working at Emery's." J.D. tells Tenny and Ciarra "We're going to start opening our own strip malls soon and Grocery Stores and Discount Stores are anchoring them. It could work." Jacob looks at his wife and says "I think it would be a great risk to take. Quit being so shy Ma." Ciarra  reluctantly agrees to help Tenny and within the next year, a Discount Store named "Sullivan's" opens its doors and Tennessee Sullivan and her sister Ciarra become well known as Sullivan's is successful and J.D. and Jacob helps them get started and within a few years, Sullivan's becomes the top Discount chain in the United States.
   A couple of years later,at the Corporate Headquarters for Sullivan's, Ciarra walks inside Tenny's office as Tenny is on the phone with a distributor and is negotiating a deal and Ciarra walks into the room and Tenny tells the person on the other line "I have made my decision and if you don't take it. Your loss!" Ciarra looks at Tenny and says "I'm pregnant." Tenny has a look of shock and asks her sister "You're kidding right?You're in your 40s." Ciarra looks at Tenny and says "I just got back from the doctor and it looks like Jacob and I are about to be parents." Tenny gets up and hugs her as Ciarra voices some concern, telling Tenny "I hope this one follows through, we have vowed not to try again if I miscarry." Tenny smiles and says "I think you'll have your child Baby Sister." 9 months later, Ciarra gives birth to a daughter, who she names "Lily Mae Sullivan." By this time, Ciarra's in her early 40s, and Jacob is close to 50 and they spoil their only child,as Ciarra steps back from work as Tenny takes control of Sullivan's and one day at The Sullivan Estate, J.D. and Tenny are sitting in the living room together and there's a knock at the door and they answer to find their daughter Beth and Tenny gives her a hug as does J.D. and they ask her "Are you here to stay?" Beth looks at her parents and tells them "I'm getting married soon. And I have been promoted to Chief of Staff at City Hospital. Tenny looks at Beth as J.D. has his arms crossed and asks Beth "Who are you marrying?" Beth says "Frank Jackson. He's a dirt track racer in Adam's Landing and his family are the most powerful family in Adam's Landing." J.D. says "That's B.R. Jackson's son isn't it?" Beth nods and J.D. voices his opinion and says to Beth "B.R. has a reputation as ruthless and you know how he made his money." Beth sighs "I know. His family owns a lot of real estate and I know he ran moonshine. His family kept Adam's Landing from going under though." J.D. and Tenny looks at Beth and tells their daughter "We're going to come down to Adam's Landing and meet this Frank Jackson and B.R.." Beth tells her parents "Behave yourselves and don't embarrass me." J.D. hugs Beth and says gently "We only want the best for you."
   Beth and Frank gets married in Adam's Landing in a beautiful ceremony as J.D. gives his daughter away and Tenny sits next to Ciarra and Jacob in the church. Later at The Jackson Estate, also known as "Hell Hill", the Jacksons throw a reception party as B.R. and Frank doesn't quite get along and B.R. tells Ruth "Why in the hell are we doing this?" Ruth looks at her husband and says "Shut up Brock! Beth is a good girl and you and Frank knock off the crap." Meanwhile,a young Ava, who's in her late teens walks up to Tenny and says "Tennessee Sullivan. You're my hero." Tenny smiles and humbly says "Thank you." Ava says "You and your sister inspire me and I want to start my own business one day." Tenny smiles at Ava, meanwhile a young Jamie and Brock Jr causes havoc at the wedding ceremony and Tenny watches on and rolls her eyes and tells Ciarra "Looks like this family is dysfunctional." Ava notices that Jamie and Brock Jr have something of hers and yells "Give it back to me NOW!" Jamie snarks "Make me!" Ruth rolls her eyes and J.D. looks at Tenny and says "Good thing we only had two children." Tenny walks up to Ruth and asks her "What's the deal with Jamie and Brock Jr? Did you just give up parenting after Ava?" Ruth looks at Tenny with a look of disdain and walks away and tells B.R. "Beth's Mother's a total snob." B.R. rolls his eyes and says to his wife "J.D. and I are going to open some shopping centers together and Sullivan's will be opening soon in Adam's Landing. People up North are different than they are here." Ruth warns him "She better not give me no parenting tips. You know how I am." B.R. sternly says "Stay calm Ruth." The reception goes relatively smooth, and Frank gets a ride a year later in the Stock Car League's Cup series, and becomes a legend as for a time things are relatively well as The Sullivans are successful in marriage and business,and Beth and Frank have a marriage of ups and downs, which causes some discontent with Tenny, as she isn't fond of Frank or his family, with the exception of Ava, who she hires to work at Sullivan's and she quickly learns the ropes of business and for many years works with Tenny and Ciarra at Sullivan's, as Ava goes through the ranks to eventually run the Southeastern division of the chain.
   3 years later, at The Sullivan Estate, Beth shows up at the door in tears, as Tenny answers the door and Tenny looks at her daughter and asks her as she notices a baby bump, "Are you pregnant?" Beth cries "I am Mama." J.D. walks downstairs and sees his daughter and Tenny tells J.D. "We're about to be Grandparents." Beth is still crying and Tenny quips "What's wrong Beth? I know that first pregnancy was a miscarriage, why are you crying?" Beth looks at her parents and says "Frank's having an affair with a girl who works for the team he drives for." Tenny rolls her eyes and J.D. gets upset and they ask Beth "What are you going to do?" Beth sits down in the living room and confides in her parents "Things have been rough and I've been homesick and lonely." Tenny looks into Beth's eyes and says to her "I think something else is bothering you also my sweet Beth." Beth looks at her parents and turns away and says "This baby isn't Frank's but B.R's." J.D. and Tenny are shocked and Beth tells them "Ruth knows and she isn't pleased but she has forgiven me and told me to keep this a secret from Frank." J.D. and Tenny takes a deep breath and tells Beth "It wouldn't be wise to do that but we're here for you." They hug their daughter and they vow to secrecy as Xavier David Jackson is born early the next year and at City Hospital in Adam's Landing, Ruth, Tenny, and Ciarra are there as well as B.R. and Tenny asks Ruth "Where is your son?" Ruth says to her "He's racing this weekend." Tenny looks at Ruth and B.R. and tells them "I don't like the way Frank has treated my daughter. He knows how I feel about his cheating ways. I guess it's the Southern way." B.R. looks at Tenny and says "I know I messed up and I do look at Beth as a daughter. I don't like the way Frank's done her either, but she will always be a part of my family." Tenny thanks B.R. and warns him "Just don't sleep with her again." Tenny holds her Grandson and smiles and says "J.D. is in Blue Ridge working, he can't wait to meet you Xavier David Jackson."
   As Xavier grows up in Adam's Landing, and J.D. and Tenny and Ciarra and Jacob stays in Blue Ridge, as Sullivan's is successful for many years and Jim's has stayed on top as the number one Supermarket in the United States. Ciarra and Jacob's daughter Lily grows up and becomes trouble as she steals funds from Sullivan's and causes problems between Tenny and Ciarra as there's a new Discount Store emerging, that is giving Sullivan's a run for its money called "Wallace's" and one day in Tenny's office at Sullivan's, Ciarra arrives as Tenny's reading the sales reports and goes over the finances and asks Ciarra, as Lily has now graduated from High School, thanks to a payoff from Jacob and Tenny asks Ciarra "Where is the money?" Ciarra reads the reports and tells Tenny "I don't know Tennessee." Tennessee gets angry and yells "Damnit Ciarra wake up and open your eyes! You and Jacob have raised an entitled brat that is killing this company!" Ciarra grows defensive and yells "Look Oldest Sister, one day this will be Lily's company to run if she wants." Tenny lights up a cigarette and says "I'll sell this company before that ever happens. Wallace's is growing like fire and we can't keep up with Lily stealing from the company! She's fired." Ciarra snarks "You wouldn't fire her?" Tenny says to her sister "I just did." Ciarra walks out and heads home and sees Lily, sitting on the couch with her boyfriend, Burt Corbin, who's working for Jim's and Ciarra looks at Burt and asks him to leave. Lily says to Burt "This is my home, you can stay." Ciarra looks at her Daughter and tells her "Your Aunt Tennessee has fired you from Sullivan's. Your actions are straining my relationship with my sister." Lily yells "Aunt Tennessee is a bitch and she's never liked me. You and Daddy raised me. Maybe you shouldn't have had children!" Ciarra slaps Lily and walks out and shakes her head, and says to herself "I created a monster."
  It's a few years later and Xavier has moved to Blue Ridge after graduating High School in Adam's Landing and works for his Grandfather and Great-Uncle at Jim's, quickly making a name for himself in the business world .J.D comes home from the office one day and tells Tenny "I think I'm going to retire soon from the business. Xavier has grown Jim's by leaps and bounds and I think we should enjoy ourselves now." Tenny tells her husband "I wish I could retire too, but with that niece Ciarra calls a daughter, I have no options for a replacement since Allan's left music and joined that commune out West, and Beth's a successful Doctor in Adam's Landing. Ava is gone after that horrible rape. I swear, I don't understand that family down there and I wish Beth would just divorce Frank and come home!" J.D. sits down next to his wife and tells her "At least Xavier is here and Lily's husband seems to be a good man. Xavier and him have become friends and that girl he's seeing is a stunner." Tenny laughs "Leigh Woods. He did take after us when it came to love." J.D. pulls out a ring and tells Tenny "I thought I'd buy you something today like I did when we first met." Tenny looks at a gold diamond ring and has stars in her eyes and kisses J.D. and says "We've been married for 45 years now." J.D. asks Tenny "Do you want to have a party here at the house?" Tenny jumps on top of J.D. and tells him "How about something intimate." They make love in the living room as Tenny says "This is better than a riverbank." J.D. laughs "You have always known what you wanted Tennessee Martin." Tenny says seductively "Oh yes I do my love."
   About a year goes by after J.D.'s retirement from Jim's and Beth returns to Blue Ridge after a divorce from Frank and she works with her Mother and Aunt at Sullivan's, which has began to decline due to a shortage of funds, and increased competition and Beth moves in with her parents on The Sullivan Estate, as J.D. enjoys his retirement and walks the grounds of the estate,and becomes a spokesman for Jim's in commercials and visits his stores and the office constantly. One day at the Corporate Headquarters at Jim's, J.D. walks inside and Jacob is in his office and J.D. asks his brother "Where is Xavier?" Jacob tells him "He and Leigh went to the OBGYN today. He told me that he wants us to get together tonight at his mansion." J.D. smiles and a tear falls from his eye and he says "They remind me of Tennessee and I and you and Ciarra so much." Jacob smiles as well as he says "Leigh is a great lady. I think everyone will be happy with their news." J.D. smiles but has a look of sadness in his eyes as he has a weak moment and Jacob notices and asks his brother "Are you feeling ok J.D.? J.D.quickly responds "I feel fine." Jacob looks at J.D. and tells him "You're hiding something." J.D. tells his brother "I'm having weak spells and don't tell this to anyone. I think it's just being retired." Jacob is concerned and tells J.D. "You've lost some weight and I'm scared." J.D.sits at his old desk and looks at Jacob and tells him "There's nothing they can do. I just want to enjoy the time I have left." Jacob asks "Cancer?" J.D. says "It's spread and I don't have long to live. Please don't tell Tenny. If anything, I will." Jacob walks over to his Oldest Brother with tears in his eyes and says "Please let her know so she can be prepared." J.D. cries and says "I don't want to leave Jacob. I'm not ready." Jacob and J.D. embrace in a hug and both of them cry, knowing J.D's time left is short.
   Later in the evening, J.D., Tenny, Ciarra,J acob,and Beth arrives at Xavier and Leigh's mansion as Xavier tells everyone with pride "I think all of you likely know the worst kept secret." Everyone laughs as Leigh rubs her stomach and tells his family "We're expecting a daughter." Beth beams with joy as Tenny and Ciarra smiles and tells Xavier and Leigh "Congratulations. You two will be excellent parents." J.D. walks up to his Grandson and grabs him and tells him "My first Great-Grandchild.I can't wait to meet her." Xavier says "I can't wait either." Joy fills the Mansion and the family has a toast to the upcoming birth of Xavier and Leigh's daughter." As the night draws to a close, Ciarra and Jacob returns to their home on The Sullivan Estate as they find Burt there as he tells them "I'm going to divorce Lily. She's at it again." Ciarra and Jacob looks on with disappointment as Jacob tells him "I have heard she gets around. I don't know where we went wrong with her." Ciarra says sadly "It's our fault." Burt leaves and Ciarra and Jacob changes subjects to J.D. and Ciarra asks her husband "Is J.D. hiding something?" Jacob tells his wife "He's sick. He opened up to me today. He's got cancer and it's terminal." Ciarra looks down and says with tears "I'm scared for Tennessee if something happens to him." Jacob assures her "Beth's back, Xavier and Leigh are expecting, whatever happens, Tenny will have her family." Meanwhile,at J.D. and Tenny's, they return home and Beth heads upstairs to bed and Tenny and J.D sits together on the couch and watches TV and J.D. says "We're going to be Great-Grandparents." Tenny snuggles up to her husband and says "I know. It's amazing." They fall to sleep on the couch with J.D. holding his wife.
  The next day, Beth and Tenny gets ready to head to Sullivan's Corporate Headquarters and J.D. tells his wife and daughter Don't work too hard today ladies." Beth and Tenny gives J.D. a hug and he tells them "I love you both so much." Beth looks at her Father and says "Daddy, I love you more." Tenny tells him with a laugh "Don't go give everyone at Jim's a hard time today." J.D. responds in a joking tone "I always do. It keeps me going." Beth and Tenny leaves and J.D. walks into his study and sits down and turns on the TV and he falls to sleep and passes away. Tenny and Beth are in Tenny's office and Tenny asks her daughter "Have you noticed anything off with J.D.? Beth tells her "He's lost some weight and I asked him the other night if he felt well and he said he was fine." Tenny looks at Beth and says to her "Something doesn't seem right." Meanwhile the sales reports come in and Ciarra arrives and tells Tenny and Beth "Wallace's has taken the top spot. Tenny looks at Ciarra and Beth and tells them "We're in trouble and thanks to Lily, we can't do no updates to the stores or anything. Damnit!" Beth tells them "Let's talk to Xavier and let him help. Look at how he's done with Jim's." Tenny looks at Beth and tells her daughter "This chain was the first Nationwide chain to be started by a woman and I am not asking for help. We'll have to cut back and figure out a way to stay on top." Tenny looks at her watch and tells Beth and Ciarra "I'm going to Jim's and buy lunch for J.D. and I. He loves the deli down there. They use the family recipe on the chicken." Tenny leaves and an hour later, she returns home and yells "J.D. I'm home.I brought us lunch." Tenny hears the television in the study and yells "J.D.?" She walks back into the study and she walks in and notices he's asleep in his chair and Tenny says "I brought you lunch. Wake up J.D.." J.D. doesn't respond and Tenny walks over and she says once again "Wake up." She gently slaps him and he doesn't respond and Tenny pauses and feels his hand and notices no pulse and says in a tone of shock "Wake up James David Sullivan. Please wake up." She calls 911 and then calls Beth, and tells her in a tone of shock "Come home." Ciarra notices Beth's face and asks "What's wrong?" Beth tells Ciarra "Something's wrong." The paramedics arrive and they attempt to revive J.D. but they are unsuccessful, and Tenny sits in the living room as Ciarra and Beth arrives and Beth asks her Mother "What's wrong?" Tenny says in a distant tone "This is a dream. Somebody tell me I'm dreaming." Beth sees her Father on the stretcher as he's passed away due to cancer and Beth starts to cry as she mourns the loss of her Father and Ciarra calls Jacob, who is next door and runs over and Tenny sits on the couch as Ciarra, Jacob, and Beth holds each other, and Tenny sits by herself on the couch, with a look of disbelief and doesn't say a word, as she's trying to grasp the fact her husband of 46 years has died.
  Beth arranges a Private Funeral for her Father as Tenny has closed herself off from everyone and he's buried in the family plot on The Sullivan Estate, with Ciarra, Jacob, Beth, Xavier, Leigh,and Tenny by his grave as the funeral is performed and once it concludes, Tenny walks away from everyone and Beth follows her Mother and Tenny turns around and tells her daughter "I want you to pack your things and stay with Xavier and Leigh. She tells everyone "I want to be alone." Beth hugs her Mother and Tenny is stiff and stands there as Beth goes to pack up, respecting her Mother's wishes and stays with Xavier and Leigh at their Mansion. Meanwhile in the next few months after the death of J.D., Tenny unplugs her phone and walks around the house as she can't accept the death of the man she loves .After a few months,she returns to Sullivan's, and Beth and Ciarra welcomes her back, which Tenny is still despondent and she tells them "I'm selling the company." Ciarra and Beth are stunned and Tenny tells her daughter "You belong in the hospital, and Ciarra, go be with your husband. We have went as far as we can and I can't do this anymore." Ciarra and Beth tries to talk Tenny out of her choice and Tenny yells at them "I can't do this! Please stay the hell off my damn back!" Tenny storms out and Ciarra and Beth both grow scared as Tenny sells Sullivan's to Wallace's, and although Tenny retains the name of her store, Sullivan's become Wallace's and they close most of the locations. Tenny has a difficult time adjusting to her husband's death, and she holds in her anger, hurt, pain, and one night she leaves and goes to a bar in Downtown Blue Ridge and has a drink. Burt walks up to her and tells her "You've been making Garbo look outgoing." Tenny looks at Burt and tells him "Go find someone else to talk to and leave me alone!" Burt tells Tenny "You have changed since J.D.'s death." Tenny looks at Burt and says once again "Leave me alone!" Burt looks at Tenny and gently tells her "I know you loved him and he loved you. But don't lock yourself away from the world." Tenny looks at Burt and says "Make love to me. I want love." Burt is shocked and says to Tenny "I'm old enough to be your Grandson." Tenny looks at him and says "Then you should be good at it." Burt takes up Tenny's offer and they go to his home and they have sex. Lily walks in as she and Burt hasn't divorced yet and yells "What in the hell?" Burt looks at Lily and says "What? You can go sleep with anyone you want but I can't?" Lily looks at her Aunt and says "Uncle J.D. dying has turned you into a whore hasn't it?" Tenny gets out of the bed, and grabs her robe and slaps Lily and tells her "I hate you. It makes me sick you carry the name of my Mother. Bite me bitch!" Tenny leaves and returns home and looks around the house as it's dark inside, and she feels J.D. and breaks down and screams with tears in her eyes "I hate living without you! I see you, I feel you, but you're gone! I can't stay here anymore. I'm leaving." Tenny sits down and writes a note and leaves it on the coffee table, and walks upstairs and packs her bags, and calls her banker and takes her money out of the bank and books a flight to Monaco, and leaves Blue Ridge without saying a word, only to return home briefly a few times to finalize some things as she is lost without J.D. in her life, as she attempts to fill the void but she is unsuccessful,and she returns to Blue Ridge one more time to meet her Great-Granddaughter, as Leigh had died in Paris and Xavier and Beth lives in J.D. and Tenny's home on The Sullivan Estate and she looks at Sully and says "You are a beautiful little girl. You look like your Mom." Sully, who's 5 years old at the time tells her Great-Grandmother "You are beautiful.I love you." Tenny hugs Sully and cries "I love you too Sullivan." Tenny leaves town again and stays away until her return to Adam's Landing though she kept in touch with her family sporadically, J.D.'s death broke her heart and in many ways, Tenny never has recovered losing the love of her life.
  
(In Loving Memory of James Ernest Duncan, and Mildred Jean (Sullivan) Duncan.)
  

1 comment:

  1. NOW THE WHOLE THING MAKES SENCE ! NO WANDER THERE IS SO MUCH FIREWORKS AT ADAMS LANDING !! ENJOYED THE HEADS-UP !!

    ReplyDelete