Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Daylight And Darkness: Episode 213. Flashback: Scarred And Scorned

  At Hell Hill, Leigh heads upstairs to check on Gracie and Xavier Jr, as Frank is quiet, as is everyone in the room, as Ruth looks at Beth, Frank, Floyd, and Xavier and begins to tell the story of Carla "Fancy" Barr Manning's history with The Jackson Family. Everyone takes a seat, as Ruth stands up as she looks away and begins to tell the story.....

    It's the early 1960s in Adam's Landing, and at a new hotel in Adam's Landing, called The Sunset Club, Brock Rudolph Jackson Sr, meets up with a young woman named Carla Barr, but called Fancy. B.R. tells the bartender "Bring this girl a drink." Fancy looks at B.R. and tells him in a seductive tone "I have missed seeing you at The Flamingo Hut Brock." B.R. looks at Fancy and tells her "Ruth's Sister told her she seen me there yesterday, and Ruth is watching intently." Fancy looks at B.R., and kisses him and tells him "Doesn't she have kids to tend to?" B.R. looks at Fancy and reminds her "Word gets around this town. Don't forget Floyd and Joe are Married as well." Fancy smiles and tells B.R. "I love a married man. You at least can't say we have fun together Brock." B.R. looks up and then tells Fancy "Let's go upstairs. B.R. and Fancy heads upstairs where they have sex, and afterwards, B.R. hands Fancy $100.00 and tells her "I will come to you, rather than you come to me." Fancy looks at B.R. and sighs "When will I get to see you?" B.R. is silent for a moment, and tells Fancy "I need a secretary down at Jackson Inc. Be there tomorrow." Fancy kisses B.R. as she leaves the room, as B.R. follows behind, as he heads home.
    B.R. returns to Hell Hill, where Ruth sits in the living room, as it's late in the evening, and the TV is on, but signed off, as the National Anthem plays in the background as Ruth asks her Husband "It's 1 in the morning." B.R. quickly responds to his Wife "I've had a long day at work." Ruth turns on the light, and drags B.R. into the study, and tells him "I smell perfume. You've been seeing her again." B.R. tells his Wife "I have not been with Fancy! Why don't you leave it alone Ruth. You are too damn jealous!" Ruth looks at B.R. and calmly tells him "If Frank, Ava, Brock Jr, and Jamie wasn't asleep, I'd yell, but I know you are screwing that whore and I want it to stop now!" B.R. sternly tells Ruth "I will do whatever in the hell I want and you can't stop me!" Ruth looks at B.R. and warns him "Wanna bet? I have talked to Edna and Helen. All of us are fed up. And I have eyes all over this town." B.R. looks at his Wife and asks "Want to make up?" Ruth looks at her Husband and tells him "You're probably already exhausted enough bastard. Sleep on the couch. I will sleep alone." Ruth heads upstairs to bed, as B.R. sits at his desk and takes a drink of moonshine and has a look of defeat on his face.
    The next morning, A 16 year old Frank, 13 year old Ava, 9 year old Jamie, and 8 year old Brock Jr sits at the kitchen table, as Jamie and Brock Jr aggravates Ava and she yells at them "Shut up!" Ruth stands at the stove and turns around and tells them "I am not in the mood this morning so knock it off or I'll whoop your ass!" Ava grows quiet, as Brock Jr looks at his Mother and yells "Ava started it." Ruth looks at Brock Jr and points to the door and tells him "Get me a switch!" Jamie laughs under her breath, and Ruth tells Jamie "Go help your Brother, and find one for yourself!" Jamie looks down as she heads outside, behind her youngest brother, as Frank asks his Mother "What's a matter Mama?" Ruth looks at her two Oldest Children and tells them "Your Daddy is the problem. He can't stay at home and it's really beginning to make me angry." Brock Jr and Jamie walks back inside as Ruth takes them in the other room and spanks both of them with a hickory stick, and tells both of them "I'm not in the mood for your antics today! Now get ready for school!" Ruth gives her kids a kiss and tells them "Have a good day in school." Ruth looks at Frank and sternly tells him "Don't skip class again!" Frank nods as Ava, Jamie, and Brock Jr rides to School with Frank, and Ruth walks into the living room and smokes a cigarette and says to herself  "He sure did leave early this morning."
    Down at Jackson Inc, B.R. sits in his office, as he watches the Jackson Tower construction crew arrive to build Adam Landing's first skyscraper, and B.R.'s twin brother, Floyd, and youngest Brother, Joe arrives and B.R. tells them proudly "Look who I hired to work for me down here." Fancy walks in, wearing a short dress and looks at The Jackson Brothers, and tells them "This is a nice place. Great scenery." B.R. pulls out the moonshine, as he, Floyd, and Joe starts to drink and B.R. tells Fancy "I got a party planned for tonight for my Eldest Son. I want you to be the entertainment." Floyd and Joe looks at their Brother, as Floyd warns B.R. "Brock, Ruth will kill you if she finds out." B.R. looks at Floyd, as Joe quips "We're gonna break him in well. Frank is a Jackson. And it's time he learns about his manhood." B.R. smiles and responds "Damn right! He has always been too close to Ruth, and I didn't raise no damn Mama's boy!" Floyd takes a drink and tells them "Helen is already mad at me after Ruth let her know about Fancy." Joe yells at Floyd "Are you turning into a softy Floyd? Hell she is the woman, you are the man! Edna knows better than to tell me what to do!" Fancy looks at them and responds "I'm not scared of your wives. Apparently I can give you something they can't." B.R. looks at Fancy and tells her "And tonight Frank will get a taste of something he will never forget."
   Meanwhile at Lane's, Ruth stops in, as Willie works as a sales clerk, and Willie looks at Ruth and asks her "Why do I sense you're about to ask me to lunch?" Ruth looks at her watch and tells her "It is noon." Davis Lane walks out of his office, and hugs Ruth and tells her "Your new dress arrived today." Ruth looks at Davis and asks him "How are you and Virginia?" Davis quips "We're doing fine. Olivia is starting to speak and we're trying for another child." Ruth looks at Davis and tells him "Best of luck. Mind if I borrow Willie?" Willie asks Ruth "Borrow?" Ruth rolls her eyes and Davis tells Willie "Go with her. I should have Ruth's dress ready when the two of you get back." Ruth and Willie heads over to a diner, down the street from Lane's and Willie tells Ruth "They don't allow colored people." Ruth winks at Willie, as they walk through the front door, and the cook yells "No ******* allowed!" Ruth yells "Do you know who I am?" The cook responds "No." Ruth looks at him and the staff and tells them sternly "All I have to do is make one phone call, and I will have your asses beaten! I am colorblind, and so should all of you assholes!" Willie looks at Ruth and quips "You're fiery today." Ruth tells Willie "I am so sick of the racism in this town. These hypocrites need to realize we're equal." Willie reminds Ruth "This isn't the Northeast." Ruth looks at her best friend and tells her "If B.R. keeps it up, I may head that way." Willie rolls her eyes and sighs "It's Carla isn't it?" Ruth nods and Willie tells her "Her family burned crosses again in our front yard last night because of Sidney's win at the Fairgrounds. I hate her family. Terrance and Aretha were both so scared I had to just hold them, as Sidney walked outside and pulled out the rifle on them. They left after Sidney started shooting." Ruth laughs, and Willie tells Ruth "They are scared of Sidney, and Clem has dealt with them too. They have formed up on The Barrs." Ruth asks Willie "What's Sidney doing today?" Willie replies "In his second home, working on race cars, and Clem is helping him out. He leaving soon for Blue Ridge." Ruth looks at Willie and tells her, as she holds her hand "That's likely a smart decision. At least he will be more equal there than here." Willie sighs "I know, but still that's my Baby Brother. I practically raised him." Willie starts to cry and Ruth looks at Willie and says in a stern tone "Toughen up Willie Ross Evans!" Willie looks at Ruth and quips "That's right. We don't cry, we are strong." Ruth looks at Willie and tells her "Exactly!"
    It's later in the afternoon, and at The Evans Home, Frank sits in Sidney's shop, as Sidney and Willie's Brother, Clemmon Ross, works on cars and Sidney throws some keys at Frank and tells him "Care to test drive this Chevy?" Frank beams with joy as he gets inside the car and pulls out of the driveway, and Sidney and Clem walks out to the road, as Frank burns rubber, and Sidney tells his Brother In Law "That boy's got talent." Clem tells Sidney "You trained him well. He's been riding with us for quite some time running shine." Sidney smiles as Frank pulls back into the driveway and gets out and Sidney tells Frank "I think I'm gonna talk to your Daddy about getting you into racing. It's your passion." Frank tells Sidney "I have talked to him and he doesn't support it. He wants me to follow him into the family business." Sidney looks at Frank and tells him "You are a racer. I know it." Frank thanks Sidney and Willie comes home from work, and walks into the shop and asks her Husband "Where are our two children?" Sidney and Clem looks at each other and Willie rolls her eyes at Sidney and tells him "Don't scare me like that Sidney Evans!" Sidney tells his Wife "They are in the house, watching TV. Terrance's been pretending he's a doctor today." Willie laughs as she hugs Frank and says "So I hear you've been driving Sidney's hot rods out here wide open." Frank asks Willie "How do you know?" Willie laughs "You about ran me off the road. But you got some control of the wheel!" Frank humbly thanks Willie for the compliment and she goes inside and Sidney tells Frank "I think it's time you head back home yourself. Your Daddy stopped by earlier. He wants to see you." Frank rolls his eyes and Sidney puts his hand on Frank's shoulder and tells him "You are one smart kid. I know Brock may act all bad, but he does love you. And if it wasn't for him, I'd still have to fight all those racists at the Fairgrounds, just to race." Frank hugs Sidney, as he heads home, and Sidney looks at Clem and tells him "I think Willie's cooking a nice dinner tonight. Let's go and play blackjack." Clem and Sidney head to the house and Clem tells Sidney "Don't let Willie in." Sidney laughs "Never."
   At Hell Hill, Frank returns home, as B.R. sits in the living room and he asks his Son "Where in the hell have you been?" Frank responds "Working at Sidney's shop with him and Clem." B.R. tells his Son "I want to take you out tonight. Have some Father Son time together. Your Uncle Floyd and Uncle Joe will be there as well. You're 16 and it's time you become a man." Frank looks at his Father and tells him "I have told you I want to race cars. That's my dream Daddy." B.R. quickly tells his Son "Ruth took Ava, Jamie, and Junior to the Drive In Movie. We need to leave now." Frank is suspicious and tells his Father "So are you going to sponsor me?" As they walk out, B.R. Responds "Maybe."
    B.R. and Frank pull up to Jackson Inc, and they head inside as Floyd and Joe are there and both of them have already started drinking, as Fancy lap dances for both of them and Frank is quiet as B.R. yells at Fancy "Here's my Eldest Son, Franklin Floyd Jackson." Fancy walks over to Frank and looks him over, as Frank looks Fancy over and Fancy touches Frank's face and says "He's a cutie." Joe yells "Don't forget about me!" Fancy pulls off her coat, revealing a bra and panties, as she walks around the room and dances for The Jackson men, and Frank is nervous and scared, as he asks his Father "Is she the one you've been sleeping with?" B.R. warns Frank "I don't want this to get back to your Mama boy. Do you understand me?" Joe looks at Frank and yells in a drunken tone "Time to celebrate your Birthday Frankie!" B.R. looks at Fancy and tells her "My son is a virgin. I want him to become a man." Fancy smiles and gushes as she looks at Frank and sighs "A virgin? My my my, he has been missing out." B.R. looks at his Son and tells him "She's yours Son. Happy Birthday." Frank tells his Father "I would rather have a race car!" B.R. grows furious and yells "You are my successor to the family legacy Frank Jackson! You weren't meant to drive damn stock cars. You'll never go anywhere." Joe yells, as Floyd takes another drink "Break him in Fancy. Do him good." B.R. looks at Frank and tells him sternly "Don't disappoint me boy." Fancy walks over to Frank, and leads him off as B.R. takes a drink and tells his Brothers "Now we'll know if he's one of us." Floyd tells B.R. and Joe "Frank is a great kid! He reminds me of myself. He wants to create his own legacy. I have." B.R. looks at Floyd and tells him "I just want to get him out from under Ruth's apron. I didn't raise no damn Mama's boy!" Meanwhile, in a office down the hall, Fancy looks at Frank, and walks over and kisses him on the neck and he cringes, as she begins to unbutton his shirt and rubs her hands on his chest." Frank looks at Fancy and tells her "I am waiting for the right girl." Fancy wraps her leg around Frank and says "You take it when you see it." Fancy unbuttons Frank's pants, and she tells him seductively "Do me. You Jacksons have a way with me." Frank hesitates and backs away and tells Fancy "I'm not interested in you! You are too old for me!" Fancy laughs "I'm only 23. And I can teach you some life lessons." Frank yells "I'm not interested! Do you understand that! My Mama.." Fancy looks at Frank and tells him "Your Mama is a housewife raising little brats and you should take more after your Father. He's a man! You are still a little boy." Frank tells Fancy sternly "I am 16 years old. If I wanted sex, I could get it!" Fancy takes off her bra and panties and tells Frank "Get me." Frank looks at Fancy and she smoothly begins to seduce Frank, as she pushes him against the wall, and they have sex, and Frank loses his virginity. In B.R.'s office, B.R., Floyd, and Joe, all of whom are drunk, hears the action in the other room and B.R. sits back and tells them "He's about to be a real man and maybe this will distract him from racing."
    A few weeks has passed, and it's morning time at Hell Hill, as B.R. has left for Jackson Inc, and Willie has picked up Ava, Jamie, and Brock Jr to take them to school, as Ruth tells Willie "Something isn't right with Frank. After he went down to the office with B.R., he's been distant." Willie looks at Ruth and tells her "I'll be at home today, I'm taking the day off." Ruth tells Willie "I'll call you then in a little while." Willie heads out to her car, and looks at Terrance and warns her 11 year old Son "Don't play doctor in the car." Terrance laughs, as a 10 year old Aretha is quiet as Willie takes the kids to school. Meanwhile Ruth walks up to Frank's bedroom and walks inside and looks at her Son and asks him "What happened the other night?" Frank looks at his Mother and has a look of dread on his face and turns away from his Mother. Ruth sits next to Frank and gently asks him "I know you and your Daddy don't get along. Mama knows when her child is sad or hurting." Frank looks at his Mother and slowly tells her "I met her Mama." Ruth asks "Who did you meet?" Frank tells his Mother about what happened at Jackson Inc, and Ruth looks at Frank, as he cries and Ruth holds her Son, with anger in her eyes, as she tells her Son "Forget about it Frank. It's hard, but do that and let me deal with it." Frank tells Ruth in a scared tone "Daddy didn't want you to know." Ruth assures her Son "Don't worry about your Daddy. He won't do a damn thing to you. Go over and help Sidney and I will let you skip school today. I'd rather you be around him than B.R. and his Brothers." Frank hugs her tightly and he leaves and Ruth walks back downstairs, as she lights a cigarette and sits in the living room, as she gets the phone and calls B.R. at his office and Fancy answers the phone and Ruth tells her "I want to talk to my Husband!" Fancy responds "He's in a meeting." and hangs up. Ruth rolls her eyes with disgust as she says with anger in her voice "Carla Barr, you're about to regret this!"
   It's later in the evening, as B.R. comes home late from Jackson Inc, and Ruth waits for him outside, as the kids are asleep upstairs and Ruth is smoking a cigarette and B.R. asks his Wife "What in the hell is wrong with you Ruth?" Ruth walks to the door and stands in front of it and cuts to the chase and tells her Husband "I know that whore is working for you Brock! And I know she had sex with Frank, and you paid for it!" B.R. starts to stumble on his words, and yells "I'm going to kick Frank's ass!" Ruth pushes B.R. off the porch and pounces on him and yells "Oh hell no you will not! And do I smell perfume again?" B.R. yells "Get off of me Ruth!" Ruth slaps her Husband in the face and screams "I thought you were going to leave that whore alone. And now you're sharing her with our Son? What in the hell is wrong with you?" B.R. yells, as he gets up "Frank needs to be a man!" Ruth yells back "He already is and he's scarred for life because of you. Tell Fancy, Carla, whatever that stripping prostitute wants to call herself that she's fired from Jackson Inc!" B.R. sternly tells Ruth "That's my damn company woman...."Ruth punches B.R. in the face and tells him "Do as I say or else you will wish you have. I have a pillow on the couch. I'm sleeping alone!" Ruth storms back inside, as B.R. heads to his car and leaves for The Flamingo Hut.
   It's the next morning and Ruth wakes up and notices B.R. didn't stay at home and walks inside the kitchen and cooks breakfast for Frank, Ava, Jamie, and Brock Jr and calls her Sister and tells her "I want you to pick up the kids after school." Ruth hangs up and as the kids eat their breakfast quickly, as Ruth warns Jamie and Brock Jr "I am NOT in the mood today!" They finish up and Ava takes Jamie and Brock Jr outside and Ruth looks at Frank and tells him "You go and work with Sidney today after school. He's building you a car. I gave him some money." Frank looks at his Mother and asks her "What will Daddy say?" Ruth responds "Your Daddy can kiss my ass. Give this to Sidney." Ruth hands Frank $1000 dollars and he hugs his Mother and tells her "Thank you Mama." Ruth tells Frank "You live your life. Don't take after your Daddy." Frank puts the money in his front pant pocket, as he heads out to take his siblings to school, and Ruth walks into the living room, where she lights a cigarette, and calls down to Jackson Inc and Fancy answers the phone and Ruth hangs up. Ruth's eyes turn red, as she walks into B.R.'s study and opens the vault and pulls down some jars of moonshine and walks back into the living room and is silent, as she calls Lane's, and tells Willie "I need you." Willie, at Lane's tells Ruth "I am working Ruth." Ruth sternly tells her best friend "I need backup. Fancy's ass is about to meet me!" Willie hangs up and Davis walks over and Willie tells him "Ruth is having some problems." Davis looks at Willie and tells her "You go help her. I know the two of you are like Sisters." Davis hugs Willie, as she heads out and a customer yells at Davis "Why did you hug a colored person?" Davis looks at the customer and warns them "If you don't like that, then you can leave." The customer gives Davis a dirty look, as she walks out and Davis shakes his head with disgust.
   At Jackson Inc, B.R. gets finished getting dressed, after having sex with Fancy, and she tells B.R. "I think I might be pregnant." B.R. looks at Fancy and asks her "Are you sure?" Fancy tells him "I'm late." B.R. rolls his eyes. At Hell Hill, Willie has arrived, as Ruth has a pistol in her hand and a bat and Willie is stunned as she goes "Are you drunk?" Ruth looks at Willie and tells her "I am about to go down to my Husband's office and fire that whore that's down there." Willie looks at Ruth and tells her "Ruth I hate to make your day worse, but I heard some people talking at Lane's this morning that Carla is Pregnant." Ruth flips out as she yells "What in the hell did you just say?" Ruth walks into the kitchen, and pulls down a bottle of whiskey and tells Willie "We're about to find out the damn truth!" Ruth storms out, with a cigarette in her mouth, and a bottle of whiskey in her hand, as she tells Willie "Get the bat." Willie follows Ruth out as Ruth gets behind the wheel and Willie looks at Ruth and asks "Should you be driving?" Ruth tells Willie "You drive too slow. I am on a mission and this bitch has it coming for her!" Ruth speeds out and as Ruth and Willie heads to Jackson Inc, Ruth takes some swigs from the whiskey bottle and is quiet, filled with anger as Willie looks up and silently says a prayer.
   At Jackson Inc, Fancy sits at her desk in front of B.R.'s office, as she feels her stomach, and B.R. paces the floor in his office, as he says to herself "If she's pregnant, then it's all but over." B.R. sits down and opens a jar of moonshine. Meanwhile Ruth and Willie arrives at Jackson Inc and Ruth takes one last swig of whiskey, as she opens the glass doors and the glass breaks behind her,as Willie cautiously follows as Ruth walks towards B.R.'s office and Fancy sees Ruth and asks in an unassuming tone "Who are you?" Ruth jumps across the desk, and hits Fancy in the head with the whiskey bottle and shrieks "Whore I warned you and warned you and warned you and you didn't heed!" Fancy looks at Ruth and yells "Get off of me you drunk!" Ruth gets up, as she pulls Fancy up and slams her against the wall and Willie holds Fancy's arms, as Ruth punches Fancy in the face as she shrieks "You slept with my Husband, my Brother In Laws, my damn Brother, Willie's Brother, MY SON! And you're running around saying you're pregnant. PREGNANT!" Fancy doesn't have time to respond as Willie joins in after Fancy tells Willie "******* are studs. Clem is a beast!" Ruth and Willie both starts to beat Fancy relentlessly, and Willie yells "That's why your damn family been around my house you whore! I'm gonna kill your worthless ass!" Meanwhile Ruth repeatedly punches Fancy in the face as she yells "I don't want to hear a damn word out of your mouth you prostituting, stripping, racist, piece of white trash, whore, slut, opportunist, all of the damn above. You've slept with the wrong man bitch! MY SON! MY HUSBAND!" B.R. rushes out of his office as Ruth and Willie are both tearing Fancy apart and B.R. screams "Ruth!" Ruth looks at her Husband and yells "Are you going to ask me to stop Brock? The answer is no. I warned your ass." As Willie works on Fancy, Ruth walks towards her Husband, as she pulls out her pistol and yells "I should kill you Brock Rudolph Jackson! That whore is pregnant with my Grandchild? Or is she making up stories?" B.R. is silent as Ruth pushes him into his office and slams the door, and yells at her Husband "I have taken a lot of shit from you. And I mean a lot. But when that whore's pregnant with my Grandchild, and you practically forced her on our Son, that's too damn much you son of a bitch!" Ruth aims for B.R.'s groin and asks "Either this bitch leaves town now, or I will fix your ass for good." B.R. tries to calm Ruth down, but to no avail, as he knows Ruth's temper, and he tells Ruth "I'll have her out of town tonight." Ruth looks at her Husband and warns him "If not, I'm divorcing you and I'll take this company." B.R. looks at Ruth, as he knows now that Ruth is serious, and tells her "She's gone Ruth. I'm sending her off tonight!" Ruth looks at her Husband and warns him "I will be watching." Ruth walks out and Fancy lays on the ground, as her face is bruised severely after Ruth and Willie's attack and Ruth yells at B.R. "Give me the money. I'm going to do it!" B.R. hands Ruth $100.00 and Ruth and Willie drags Fancy outside and Ruth pushes her into the backseat of her car, as they head to the bus station, and once they arrive, Ruth asks the cashier "When does the next bus leave?" The cashier tells Ruth "In 5 Minutes, to McCain." Ruth hands the cashier some money and tells him "My friend needs to leave town." Ruth and Willie sits next to Fancy as she looks at both of them and warns them "This isn't over." Ruth and Willie are quiet, as the bus arrives and Ruth and Willie takes Fancy to the bus, and Fancy gets on and Ruth hands the bus driver some money and tells him "Keep the whore company." The bus driver, Ruth's Brother, Merlin Love, tells his Sister "I will Ruth." Ruth and Willie watches as the bus drives off and Willie looks at Ruth and tells her "I'm driving back home." Ruth and Willie heads back to Hell Hill.....

   Back at Hell Hill, Ruth looks at Xavier, Leigh, Beth, Frank, and Floyd and tells them "One thing B.R. learned after that experience was that he better not ever cross me or test me. He changed after that experience." Everyone with the exception of Frank and Floyd are stunned as Beth looks at Ruth and responds "I could never picture Willie doing something like that." Ruth looks at Beth and tells her "We took care of her ass 50 years ago, and we would again if we had to."
 

1 comment: